National Reading Group Month
The Women’s National Book Association began this 31-day endorsement of reading groups in 2007 as a way to celebrate the congeniality which naturally springs from the reading group experience. Stop by CLPL to find the latest titles for your book club!
- Book Discussion Groups @ CLPL
- Learn the background behind National Reading Group Month.
- ReadingGroupChoices.com has everything you need to find the next great read for your group.
- Check out some book-themed blogs at Booklist Online.
- Help others discover the joy of reading--and book groups--become a literacy volunteer.
Make it the best Halloween ever! Check out these ideas for costumes, parties, spooky decorations, deliciously weird treats, great places to go, and a little bit of history.
- Halloween @ CLPL
- Stop by HGTV.com for costume and decoration ideas, and frighteningly yummy recipes.
- Get more costume ideas for the whole family with Parents.com.
- Celebrate Halloween with Downtown Crystal Lake.
- Feeling brave? Find local haunted houses and Halloween attractions.
- Browse Halloween videos at History.com.
National Bake and Decorate Month
This holiday acknowledges the art of baking and decorating. With Halloween just around the corner (not to mention Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah), now is the time to take advantage of all those neat seasonal ingredients and work some magic in the kitchen.
- Baking @ CLPL
- Food crafting company (and Bake and Decorate Month creator) Wilton Enterprises has lots of delicious recipies to try.
- Decorate the perfect cookie with these "how to" tips from the Food Network.
- Find project ideas, recipes, and decorating tips at Bake, Decorate, Celebrate.
- Allrecipes.com has even more baking recipes, for every occasion.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Learn more about how to get help and obtain emergency shelter, Orders of Protection and legal advocacy.
- Resources @ CLPL
- Turning Point and Home of the Sparrow offer emergency shelter, programs, and resources for women and children. Helpguide.org has links to assist male victims of domestic violence.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- How to obtain an Order of Protection in McHenry County