Here are some great ideas for Halloween costumes, whether you are making something, need a last-minute costume, or are looking for a special theme for your kids, family, or group.
- Costumes @ CLPL
- Get easy last-minute costume ideas from GoodHousekeeping.com.
- CountryLiving.com has lots of do-it-yourself costumes for kids.
- The more, the merrier! Parents.com has great ideas for group and family costumes, or browse their Costume Gallery.
- More last-minute costume ideas, from WomansDay.com.
Adopt a Dog Month & Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
October is both the Humane Society's Adopt-A-Dog Month and the ASPCA's Adopt a Shelter Dog Month. Use these resources to learn more about dogs and how to adopt one.
- Dog Adoption @ CLPL
- Visit the American Humane Association to learn more about Adopt-A-Dog Month.
- The ASPCA offers helpful adoption tips and links to more information.
- Are you ready for a dog? - American Kennel Club
- Search multiple shelters--local or across the country--through PetFinder.com.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Visit the links below for more information on this disease, local events, and support networks.
- Breast Cancer Awareness @ CLPL
- Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments - BreastCancer.org
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America offer support, information, and treatment options.
- Find local awareness events via the Susan G. Komen Foundation or the American Cancer Society.
- Learn about breast cancer risk factors with the Illinois Department of Health.
- The Breast Cancer Survivors Foundation helps survivors connect and tell their stories.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Check out the links below for more information and how to help friends and loved ones you suspect are being abused.
- Domestic Violence @ CLPL
- Learn more about the history of Domestic Violence Awareness Month - Domestic Violence Awareness Project
- The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence offers information on domestic violence, warning signs, and what to do if you or someone you love need help.
- Domestic violence is an equal opportunity issue. Visit HelpGuide.org for articles and resources designed for men suffering from domestic violence.
- Need help now? Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline (800.799.7233) or visit their website.