- Crystal Lake Job Club
Meetings are held at the Crystal Lake Public Library once a month on Thursdays at 1:00pm. Join other job hunters in a supportive environment for networking and to hear speakers on job hunting topics. For more information or to sign up for the job club’s newsletter, contact Kim Damitz (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click here for a meeting schedule.
- Network to Success Job Club
Sponsored by McHenry County Workforce Network, meetings are held every 2nd and 4th Wednesday at 1:00pm at the Shah Center (4100 W. Shamrock Ln., McHenry, IL; 815.338.7100).
- Saint Hubert Parish Job & Networking Ministry
Job club meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 7:00pm at St. Hubert Parish Ministry Center (729 Grand Canyon St., Hoffman Estates, IL; 847.885.7700 x101). The group also sponsors job hunting workshops throughout the suburbs. Sign up for their job board: email@example.com.
Databases to Help Job Hunters
These are subscription databases available in the library or 24/7 to CLPL cardholders. To connect from home, have your Crystal Lake Public Library card barcode number ready.
|Business Insights: Global - Investigate companies to find potential employers and prepare for interviews.|
|DemographicsNow Library Edition - Are you thinking of starting a business? Find demographic information to help you research and prepare.|
|Job Search Resources - through CLPL's Online Resources Gateway|
|Learning Express Library - Develop your skills with online tutorials and courses or take practice vocational exams, learn to do resumes and more.|
|Reference USA - Research companies to prepare for interviews or identify potential employers, and find job listings. Click here for a guide to Reference USA for Job Hunters.|
|Small Business Resource Center - Search this database to learn how to start, finance or manage a small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.|
- Illinois workNet Center - Excellent comprehensive site
- Chicago Job Talk - Find listings for area jobs
- CareerBuilder - Look for jobs and post your resume
- CareerOneStop - Nationwide resource for job hunters
- Craigslist - Find jobs not advertised elsewhere, including freelance assignments
- Earn money online (Mashupmom.com) - Online money-making opportunities
- Glassdoor - An inside look at jobs & companies
- Indeed: one search. all jobs - This site gathers job ads from other resources, including CareerBuilder and Monster
- Job-Hunt.org - Links to Illinois job boards and employers
- LinkedIn - A great resource for professional networking and job ads
- Monster.com - Look for jobs and post your resume
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Learn about different careers and the outlook for employment, training and skills needed, etc.
- O*NET OnLine - Career information
- Quintessential Careers - Helpful resources for job hunters
- Riley Guide - Comprehensive job hunting website
- USA.gov - Jobs, Education, and Volunteerism - Apply for a federal government job
- Work at Home Guide (Clark Howard) - Information on work-at-home opportunities
- McHenry County Workforce Network (500 Russel Ct., Woodstock, IL; 815.338.7100; email firstname.lastname@example.org) - Offers job hunting and computer classes, resume writing software, free access to computers, phones, faxing, photocopiers, and stamps. Schedule a mock interview or receive a resume critique.
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (500 Russel Ct., Woodstock, IL; 815.338.7100) - Apply here for unemployment insurance.
- Career Services, McHenry County College (8900 U.S. Highway 14, Crystal Lake, IL; 815.455.8576) - Any county resident can get help with resumes, cover letters, interview preparation and general career planning. Website includes access to job listings.
- Library Staff can help you locate resources, and assist with computer use
- Computer/Equipment Resources:
- Internet computers
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) (including resume wizards)
- Computer Classes - Free basic classes are offered throughout the year to help you learn to use software programs and how to search the Internet.
- Books on job hunting:
- Careers (check the 331.7-331.702 section of the Library)
- Resumes (650.142 section)
- Interviewing (650.144 section)
- Click here for information on Researching a Company