Library Card Information
Do you live within the city limits of Crystal Lake?
Apply in person at the Circulation desk.
Individuals who live within the city limits of Crystal Lake may obtain a library card upon presentation of identification which establishes residency.
- Drivers License / State ID with current address or
- Personal / payroll check that includes current address or
- Mail or utility bill with current postmark
Do you live in unincorporated Crystal Lake?
Apply in person at the Circulation Desk.
Individuals who reside outside the city limits of Crystal Lake may obtain a nonresident card by paying a fee equal to what the Library tax would be for that year if the property were inside city limits.
- Contact Library Circulation staff for the amount of the annual fee.
- How do I know if I'm outside city limits?
- Go to the McHenry County Treasurer's website
- Enter your name and/or address
- Look at the "Taxing Body" box to see if you are paying taxes to the Library
Do you have a library card from another public library?
Individuals with a valid library card from another Illinois public library are able to use the Crystal Lake Public Library and check out materials from our collection. Please contact the Circulation Department at 815.459.1687 x 4 for information about registering your card at CLPL.
CLPL offers several additional types of cards that are available to businesses, nonresident taxpayers, schools and employees of the City of Crystal Lake. Please contact the Circulation Department at 815.459.1687 x 4 for details.
Loan Periods & Fines
|Material||Loan Period||Late Fine|
|Books||3 weeks||10¢ per day|
|CD Books||3 weeks||25¢ per day|
|CD ROMs||2 weeks||25¢ per day|
|DVDs||1 week||$1 per day|
|Hot Picks||1 week||$1 per day|
|ILL Materials (Special orders)||varies||25¢ per day|
|Kits||3 weeks||10¢ per day|
|Magazines||1 week||10¢ per day|
|Music CDs||3 weeks||25¢ per day|
|New Books||2 weeks||25¢ per day|
|Playaways||3 weeks||25¢ per day|
|Puzzles||3 weeks||10¢ per day|
|Video Games||1 week||$1 per day|